Specific PHEV forum for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
#1992 by Patrick Western
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:02 am
Dear Outlander Phev Owners,

We bought an Outlander Phev ( 2015 base model) about 3 months ago. It is going well, but there is one major shortfall. There seems to be no heating when driving either on battery or with the generator (ie nothing on electric). When I purchased it from the Mitsubishi Dealer, they made a point of the dual climate control in the vehicle, stating that climate could be controlled for the driver and front passenger independently. However, it appears that the only heat that can be obtained is if the main motor heats up the engine cooling water (ie as per a normal ICE car) and this is counter intuitive in a car that is designed to be electric. Even the normal heating appears to be poor on the Phev.

Am I missing something? That lack of heating via electric seems to be a pretty big oversight and disappointing in an (part) electric vehicle. Especially when we were assured of the great climate control in the car (and yes, I do appreciate that heating uses quite a bit of energy, but the AC does also and it works fine as it is electric - as in all cars where you don't wind down the windows). Or is it possible that in my car the system is simply not working?

Any comments, help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Patrick
Australia
#1994 by bitman
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 am
I have used the heating when driving on electric (or think I am!)

It might be worth trying to see if you can heat the car when it parked via the timer to check the heating is working.
#1996 by Patrick Western
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:35 pm
Thanks Bitman, will do. I am wondering if there is a difference between base model and aspire - ie aspire has electric heater and base does not? Anyone know whether this is the case for Outlander Phev in Australia?

Cheers
#1997 by arnyswart
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:50 pm
Yes. The main difference in the Australian models is radar cruise control, climate control (ability to cool/heat your car automatically at the end of the day at a preset time so it is perfect when you get in), and the most important is the charge timer. Australia has a cheaper tariff 13 between 11pm-7am. If you charge your car overnight between these times it costs a quarter of the electricity amount. For the minimal amount extra you pay the aspire it is unwise not to go the better model.