You can discuss anything PHEV related right here.
#1840 by Mitzy
Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:44 pm
We knew that sooner or later Ecotricity would impose a fee for charging our cars at their facilities. What I didn't expect was that the cost would be five pounds per charge! Below is a copy of an email that I sent to Ecotricity earlier today.

The Mistubishi Outlander PHEV, of which there are well over 12,000 on UK roads, has a full charge electric range of around 28 miles. A fast charge at one of the Ecotricity sites gives an 80% charge, i.e. a range of 22.4 miles. Ecotricity proposed cost of five pounds for each charge equates to just over 22p per mile. My Outlander is returning 94 mpg over the 2800 miles I’ve driven so far and, at current costs of £1.10 per litre, this works out to just over 5p per mile.

So why would I elect to pay 17p per mile extra and have to wait around for 30 minutes while the charging takes place.
I, like all owners of this car, will simply top up with petrol, rather than messing about with costly electric charging.

By imposing this level of cost, Ecotricity will not only alienate owners of Outlanders, but all drivers of PHEVs, the fastest growing sector of the electric car market. Is that not going against all that Ecotricity stands for?
#1841 by bitman
Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:15 pm
Well said. I too have emailed them and look forward to their reply.

Could I suggest that people do not download their app. They will use the number of downloads as a means of saying how popular/accepted their charges are.
#1848 by mp80
Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:35 am
I think they've solved the wrong problem. It's not PHEV drivers using the points that's the problem, it's hogging them. We can charge in 15-20 minutes, what pisses EVers off is hanging on the charger for an hour.

Can't they implement a "20 minutes free, then a fiver" thing? Then PHEVs can still charge but EVers don't have to wait long?

Best still, make it so you only get charged if you're not unplugged within 5 minutes of charge completing, that way leafs et Al can't hog it too.
#1968 by bitman
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm
Well...

Ecotricity would cost me £225.85 more if they were my supplier! I doubt I would recoup this through charging my vehicle "free of charge".

This is my comparison.

Ecotricity costs to me;

Standing charge : 32.41p per day (£118.30 per annum)
Unit Rate: 15.87p (based on Ofcom average of 3100 units used = £491.97 pa)
Tariff Comparison Rate 19.68p

What i'm paying;
Standing charge : 12.72p per day (£46.42) (£71.78 less than Ecotricity)
Unit Rate: 10.9p (4.97p per kWh cheaper) (based on Ofcom average of 3100 units used = £337.90)
Tariff Comparison Rate: 12.7p (6.98 cheaper than Ecotricity)