You can discuss anything PHEV related right here.
#1835 by steveherbert
Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:57 pm
I have today received an email from Ecotricity to say they will from August be charging £5 for a 20 minute charge.

Although the free charging was never going to last for ever, I think this is a lot of money and a rip off Which is what we are used to with energy companies.

They have said that they have consulted EV drivers but I have had no communication from them at all..

I have an Outlander PHEV and it will be cheaper to use petrol than this.

I would urge anyone who also feels that this is a complete rip of to contact Ecotricity on 01453 761455 and email your complaint to
#1844 by dusz
Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:12 pm
Yep, received my email notice from Ecotricity. Sent them an email expressing my dismay at the lack of consultation and also they excessivness of the charge. Their automated reply states that they try to answer within 48 working hours. If all PHEV owners emailed them they would have a lot of emails to answer and would have a measure of the number of owners they had just alianated.
Change will only happen if a large number respond and do not download their app. They already know how many RFID cards they have issued so they should be able to forcast the total take up/loss of customer base.

Did not sign up to PodPoint as there are none of their chargers where I tend to travel so a fixed monthly charge would be money down the drain.
Will continue to charge at home for commuting to work and local journey and will not bother to charge up on the road unless it is at the Eurotunnel terminals.
#1845 by Ollyseba
Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:03 pm
I received the same email, and I have also written to Ecotricity asking them to review their decision.
As a PHEV driver, I normally achieve about 17 to 20 mile on a 20 minute charge. My car is currently doing 40mpg, therefore if I pay £5 to charge my car to achieve 20 miles that is the equivalent of £10 per gallon!!!
Without stopping to put some charge in the car, I will only get 32mpg on a 300 mile trip to London and back.
Not very eco friendly now are they????
#1846 by bitman
Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:00 pm
Latest from ecotricity...

The Electric Highway upgrade has started.

We finished the first two electricity pumps at Gloucester Services yesterday and we’ll continue to upgrade them, one at a time, to enable you to operate the pumps using the ‘charging for charging’ model on our new EH app.

The entire transition should be complete by Friday 5 August.

If you haven’t already done so, now is a good time to download the app. You can do that really easily here.

Since making the announcement last week, we’ve had a number of conversations with Electric Highway members – and had feedback particularly about the proposed 20 minute charge session.

As a result of this, we’re changing our approach - and charging sessions will instead be for 30 minutes and cost £6 (as opposed to 20 minutes for £5).

From the feedback we’ve received, this should ensure that the vast majority of EV drivers are able to achieve the ideal 80% recharge in one session.

In terms of value for money, this change results in 50% more charging time for just a 20% increase in cost – overall, that’s a 25% net reduction in cost.

We know there are lots of EV drivers with different needs – there are around 40 different models of electric vehicles on the road and three charging standards – but we hope this new model strikes the right balance for everyone. We’ll be keeping a close eye on how this transition pans out and we’ll keep listening to feedback.

That’s it for now. We’ll keep you updated as the rollout progresses.

Thanks for being with us.

Dale Vince
#1847 by jdearauj
Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:28 am
Just thought this might be of interest to those thinking of moving suppliers over to Ecotricity.

Does free mean I have unlimited use of the network / what is your fair usage policy?

The Electric Highway is free to use for Ecotricity energy customers.

There are some Electric Highway members who use the network an extremely high number of times, so we do have a fair usage policy – 52 charges each year (the equivalent of over £300 of free juice). That’s just so that we can ensure fair and equal use of the network.

Not many people use more than 52 charges a year, so it’s very unlikely that this restriction would limit your free use of the network.