Over the next year I will be updating weekly living with the Outlander PHEV as our family transport, the niggles, the positives and the costs.
#373 by Chris
Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:57 pm
Combined two week review today as sometimes things happen that you were not expecting.

Week 4 was just a normal week, the PHEV behaved without any problems or issues and I recorded the entire week without the use of any petrol. So a quick update on the figures showed 1,221 miles for a total cost of £55.06 in charging + £40.00 in petrol making a total of £95.06 for 1,221 miles. That equates to £0.077p per mile. £95.06 divided by £6.18 = 15.38 gallons. This equates to 79.38mpg. Using pure electric for the week really shows just how frugal the Outlander PHEV can be, instead of ICE which is far from a frugal means of transport.

Week 5, Tuesday should have started with it's first monthly inspection / service at Reading Mitsubishi. That was the plan anyway. Unfortunately week 5 became one of those weeks that you will always look back on as a family. My daughter had left on the Monday for a school residential trip to Shropshire for the week. On Tuesday morning we received a phone call to say that she had been unwell in the night and could we if possible collect her from Shropshire at our earliest convenience, no need to panic but she did need to come home. Given the phone call I had to cancel the service inspection. It was around a 150 mile trip there and so just over a 300 mile round trip. Unfortunately by the time we arrived my daughter was on her way to hospital in a 999 ambulance with a teacher. A quick summary of the events was she visited Shrewsbury Hospital first, was then stabilised before being transferred to Telford Children's Hospital, once again by a 999 ambulance. She was actually the first patient on HDU as the hospital had only opened that day. She remained at the hospital until late into the weekend. Thankfully she is now back home recovering and all is well once again. Children have a remarkable ability to recover quickly.

hospital.png
hospital.png (662.7 KiB) Viewed 5189 times

What this meant however in terms of the weekly report for the Outlander PHEV was not much electric charging but reliance on the petrol engine and 823 miles on the clock in just a week.

The Outlander PHEV performed great. Its very comfortable on the Motorway and once you set the ACC to the desired speed it pretty much drives itself. On the M6 with all the traffic it was simply superb. When you tired and its been a long day its a nice feeling that actually the car itself is looking out for you. I can't explain it but it is just such a reassurance that I am now so pleased I decided on the top spec GX4hs with ACC. I had questioned whether I would ever use it. It works so well I would now be lost without it.

I know that the figures for the last 823 miles would not be great. However it's yet another guide to the running costs of a PHEV in the real world, and not just simply quoting 148mpg as the official figure. So how much did 823 miles cost? I did manage some charging, just under £10 to be precise and fuel wise I spent £23.33 + £38.01 + £31.01 + £27.00 so a total fuel cost of £119.35 + £10 electricity = £129.35. That equates to £0.157p per mile, which equates to double the cost of just a normal electric only week. If I use my standard price of £6.18 per gallon, [Petrol in Telford is way cheaper than Berkshire!] then the petrol + electric use equates to 20.93 gallons. Therefore 823 miles divided by 20.93 = 39.32mpg. Average speed was just over the 70mph on the motorway but nothing excessive. Clearly if your a user without the ability to charge overnight, spend days trawling the motorway on Petrol ICE then the Outlander PHEV is not really a good fit. Take out the BIK savings and a diesel would in the long term I am sure save you money.

Taken overall my total mileage is now 2044 and the total costs of charging and petrol equate to £65.82 Electricity / £159.35 Petrol = £225.17. This equates to 36.43 gallons. We have now slipped back down quite considerably on the mpg front to just 56.1mpg average over the 2044 miles travelled. It once again clearly shows that the benefits of running a PHEV are only gained when connected to overnight charging and making journeys less than 30 miles.

Week 5 is however not a normal week for me. It was one of those blips in life. Now we are back to normality again Electricity Charging will be used overnight. I would hope that barring any more unforeseen events that the mpg figures will now start to climb. Quite simply 56.1mpg is way better than the Land Rover but no where near the 148mpg claimed.