Over the next year I will be updating weekly living with the Outlander PHEV as our family transport, the niggles, the positives and the costs.
#267 by Chris
Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:08 am
It's been 2 weeks since collecting the car from Reading Mitsubishi and so far it's all working out very well thank you.

That's not to say that there are a couple of niggles.. but I will come back to them later.

First the economics of the car are working as I had expected. Nearly all of my journeys are completed on EV power only and the Fuel Tank is still showing as full even though there have been a couple of occasions where we have had to use petrol. It tends to cut in when entering the motorway for example in the morning and a recent trip to Basingstoke which was well in excess of the EV range meant that some of the journey was completed using petrol. However the Fuel Tank display still shows as 100%.

IMG_3514.png
IMG_3514.png (277.1 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

So far its cost £25.91 to charge and £0 on petrol. That's two weeks motoring and 553 miles with 10 left on EV so in effect 563 miles. That's already a big saving and we are only two weeks in. In fact I think at the moment it's saving me more money than I had originally envisaged on weekly motoring costs as I had always assumed some petrol usage and put a figure of £10 per week on this. At the moment at least this does not appear to be the case.

Given that the vehicle this replaced cost £0.302 per Mile my savings equate to £0.302 x 563 = £170.03 - My costs now at only £25.91 = a saving of £144.12 in just 2 weeks.

IMG_3515.png
IMG_3515.png (287.59 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

My wife was very sceptical of the stated figures being quoted for the economy before we purchased the car. However so far we are all realising that for us and our daily use the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is the perfect fit. I do regularly troll the internet and there are many high mileage users that are quickly realising that maybe the PHEV option is not / was not the right one for them. It is clear that if your use is mainly high mileage and your options for charging are limited the PHEV is not the right fit for you. Look elsewhere.

If you do short trips that can be quickly topped up with an EV charge between, have a driveway and easy access to a charge point then just like us you could be saving a fortune on your motoring costs each week.

Now onto some of the niggles..

The warning beeps for everything drive you mad.. really do you need a beep that loud to remind you you left the drivers door open? LDW warnings constant on any side road in the area? Doors creak when travelling over any road surface that is strewn with pot holes? It's so quiet when in EV mode that all noises are amplified so you tend to focus on the slightest rattle. I think that the interior build quality could be better for such a price point. Things tend to rattle quite a bit.

As for the Trip Info.. still trying without success to get to grips with all the displays.. such as.

IMG_3516.png
IMG_3516.png (283.71 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

IMG_3517.png
IMG_3517.png (285.39 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

For now I am sticking to the actual MPG and charge costs.. maybe I will understand the displays one day.

Next week I will talk about the remote APP in more detail.. as it gets colder pre-heating the car in the morning is one feature we are all looking forward to.