Discuss anything you like not PHEV related here.
#1244 by Phill
Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:35 pm
Hi Folks.

I've had two solar companies who both promised the earth not turn up to the first appointment.

I'm getting very sceptical!

Do solar pannels cover thier own costs? And can you genuinely reccomend a company based on your own installation please?

#1347 by Wallop
Tue May 05, 2015 8:52 pm
Don't know if you're still wanting a response (only just joined this forum)? We have 12 solar panels, cost approx £10,000 3 years ago, with a FIT of 21p per kWh produced and estimated a 50% selling back at 3p per kWh. I estimate we've saved/been paid FIT of around £2600 so far. Having just bought our PHEV we should be able to charge the car at no cost for a few months per year. Given that most days we're at work between 8am - 6pm Mon - Fri, opportunities to charge the car will only be during the longer daylight hours (when the sun's shining) and at weekends. Later in the day (when the sun is low) and if it's not very bright out the panels produce less energy e.g. some days in winter we only make about 10p from FIT and virtually no electricity to use. In the summer we generate much too much electricity to be able to use ourselves - am considering starting up a cannabis farm (joke).

Hopefully, this will help you do the calculations to work out whether or not it's worth it for you.
#1348 by Rocketroy
Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 pm
Thanks for the info Wallop,
I have ordered a Audi A3 Etron which should be with me October.
I have just had 16 Solar panels fitted on Friday 4Kwh system which will give me a FIT 14p Kwh
I am lucky that my wife is at home most days so we should be able to charge for free, I just hope we have enough sun in the winter to benefit too.
I am not sure what kwh the charger will use I am just getting know this new language lol