Specific PHEV forum for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
#1547 by john peden
Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:36 pm
hi 3 week phev on full battery has started recently going into series hybrid mode using petrol unnecessarily....nothing to do with the drive or air con...can anyone help

JP
#1549 by pcsouthwest
Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:46 pm
Hi John,

Could you give a little more detail?

You will notice that taking the PHEV past the 12Oclock position on the power gauge and above 80 mph will turn the engine on. Occasionally it will start if the 12v battery is low and will definitely come on when the heater is engaged, especially if you have a gx3h, which does not have an electric heater.

Once in a while I have seen the engine come, for none of the above and assume it switches on just because it has not been on for a while, possibly to make sure it will?

More details should help someone here explain.

Cheers
Mark
#1568 by Steve Reece
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:57 pm
john peden wrote:hi 3 week phev on full battery has started recently going into series hybrid mode using petrol unnecessarily....nothing to do with the drive or air con...can anyone help

JP

Hi.
If it is cold weather mine starts up with ICE until the car warms up and those into electric mode. Mine is a x4h.
Cheers
#1751 by peteranthony
Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:15 pm
I have had my Outlander for eighteen months now so i have come across some of the problems that some of you will face in the near future.
i was a bit miffed when starting up one morning that the petrol engine started and carried on running for the rest of the journey' I rang the dealership but they didn't have an solution. it turns out that the computer does not like the petrol engine being inactive for too long and brings up a message that the engine has been started to maintain the fuel system. On searching the users manual I found the answer. The status quo can be restored by filling the tank with 15 litres of unleaded.
Regards, peteranthony.
#1752 by GreasyJoe
Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:50 pm
if the outside temp is 10 degrees or lower the ICE will start up. Way around this is to get the car warm using the App/timer and switch the heater to off in the car. Use the heated seats and steering wheel heater(16MY on GX4h). Even on the coldest mornings I find just a fleece on in the car is adequate for my commute and amazed how much EV the heater uses.
#1969 by paultonge
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:49 pm
peteranthony wrote:I have had my Outlander for eighteen months now so i have come across some of the problems that some of you will face in the near future.
i was a bit miffed when starting up one morning that the petrol engine started and carried on running for the rest of the journey' I rang the dealership but they didn't have an solution. it turns out that the computer does not like the petrol engine being inactive for too long and brings up a message that the engine has been started to maintain the fuel system. On searching the users manual I found the answer. The status quo can be restored by filling the tank with 15 litres of unleaded.
Regards, peteranthony.

You're probably best letting the car use the petrol rather than tricking it by putting more in. The volatiles in the fuel evaporate over time and, if it gets bad enough, the resulting fuel can damage the engine.